Sophie Welch, BA (Hons), MA
AoEC Practitioner Diploma in Executive Coaching
My practice draws on an academic background in the arts and humanities, and a professional background in research integrity, ethics, and governance from Durham University. I bring over twelve years’ membership of NHS research ethics committees and sit as Vice-Chair of the North of Scotland Research Ethics Committee (I).
I work with organisations and individuals – both early and senior career – from a variety of cultural backgrounds, and I welcome the different approaches, expectations, and energy levels each client brings to the relationship.
My clients (and their sectors) are often experiencing a period of transition, and share a commitment to enhancing their leadership presence and/or cultivating a culture of integrity.
My coaching and consultancy practice is informed by a portfolio of experience including:
- fifteen years working with leading Russell Group universities in strategic, advisory, and development capacities
- continuing professional development in leadership (Leadership Foundation for Higher Education) and executive coaching (Academy of Executive Coaching)
- membership of research ethics committees (Durham University, NHS Health Research Authority, NHS Grampian)
- continuing professional development in research ethics (NHS Health Research Authority accredited by Royal College of Physicians) and law and medical ethics (University of Edinburgh)
- membership of clinical trial steering committees (University Hospital of North Tees, University of Oxford, University of Aberdeen)
- membership of register of advisers (UK Research Integrity Office)
- an academic background in Classical Civilisation specialising in philosophy, theology, religion, and mythology as well as law, rhetoric, and medicine (University of Leeds)
As a coach I incorporate psychological-mindedness, business-mindedness, and relationship development into my practice. I am committed to personal and professional development, and reflective practice underpinned by appropriate supervision. My practice is discreet, confidential, and adheres to the Global Code of Ethics for Coaches, Mentors and Supervisors.